Member of Parliament for Nsawam-Adoagyiri Frank Annor-Dompreh is contacting for improved investment decision in renewable energy.
He suggests renewable electricity is the surest means to decrease Ghana’s electricity technology bill and guarantee electricity is manufactured accessible to all.
The chairman of parliament’s International Affairs Committee in a assertion on the flooring explained there are a lot of well being and environmental added benefits associated with Ghana raising its dependence on renewable energy like solar and wind.
Below is the whole statement study by the MP on the floor on the upcoming of renewable electricity in Ghana.
1. Mr Speaker, Ghana, like many African countries have designed commendable actions in the direction of Renewable Electrical power. With sustainable energy developments envisaged through policies and conventions like the United Nations’ Sustainable Strength for All (SE4All) initiative, the Sustainable Improvement Ambitions (SDGs), and the United Nations Framework Conference on Local climate Alter (UNFCCC) there is no doubt that Ghana can transition to a laudable status for clear power generation in the close to long term.
2. Worthy of mention is the fact that Ghana’s hydro power, which is in by itself renewable— as defined in Segment 2 of the Renewable Vitality Act 2011, Act (832) —generated a sizeable 51.5% of complete electricity supplied according to the Energy Commission’s WEM bulletin for January 2019.
Although this proportion was attributed to shortfalls in the fuel source to thermal crops, it presents an sign that we are not able to continue to count of the increasing cost of gas to provide thermal plants and it also demonstrates that renewable strength is capable of complementing present resources of strength, to meet up with the requires of the people today when explored to its fullest extent.
3. Mr Speaker, the large array of renewable energy sources out there in the Sub Saharan area provide an assurance of the sustainability of renewable power. In perspective, according to the 2017 World Lender Photo voltaic source knowledge, Ghana falls in just a Photovoltaic (PV) electrical power location with areas primarily in the north, labelled with yearly sum totals of 1,607 kiloWatts per hour. Kenya which is noteworthy for photo voltaic electricity era has PV places recording yearly sum totals of 1,826 kiloWatts per hour. If they are using this optimally, I believe we can do same.
4. The Ministry of Energy projects the 10% renewable power penetration plan detailing solar to increase 20 MegaWatts (MW) power and wind 240 MW by 2020 amongst other renewable sources becoming deemed. Setting the tone for pursuit in renewable power is a get started to the result we wish to see in the potential.
The AIMS strength journal exposed in a research that the probable of photo voltaic in Ghana, on the other hand, is approximated to be an untapped 50-100 MW usable renewable power. Particularly, the abundance of photo voltaic assets in Salaga, Bawku, Bole, Bolgatanga, Navrongo, Tamale, Wa and Yendi, present that Ghana is endowed with solar strength potentials which are conducive for the installation and utilization of solar electrical power technologies and techniques.
5. Mr. Speaker, in accordance to Entire world Methods Institute Climate Assessment Indicator Tool (WRI CAIT), CO2 emissions elevated by 10.2 Metric tons from 1990 to 2011, with transportation contributing the largest share (40%) of the increase. On the entrance of mitigation, efforts are getting created to drastically lower Ghana’s carbon footprints.
To this impact, the Environmental Protection Company in May well 2019 announced that motor vehicles emitting unsafe fumes would be clamped down as a evaluate to make sure the enforcement of Highway Site visitors Regulation 111. This is just one of many routines in the pursuit of a sustainable atmosphere and mitigating weather modify.
6. Augmenting Ghana’s agenda precise to Renewable Power, the Vitality Fee previously this 12 months offered the Renewable Vitality Masterplan (REMP) to the Ministry of Strength. The REMP is built to assistance the country accomplish the pursuing targets which consist of (a) improved penetration of renewable power from the 2015 baseline of only 42.5 MW to 1,363.63 MW in the countrywide electricity mix (b) lessen the dependence on biomass as the major gas for thermal vitality applications (c) provide decentralized electrification possibilities from renewable resources in 1,000 off-grid communities and lastly (d) promoting local content and nearby participation in the renewable vitality sector by 2030. By these projections, we can be expecting much from renewable power in the years to appear and it would be in the best desire of the place that we the front-liners of coverage in Ghana, get ready ourselves to be certain its achievements.
7. In February 2018, the performing Main Executive Officer of Korle-Bu Instructing clinic indicated that the facility put in GHC 1.2 million every month on operational electrical power and pressured that it was not sustainable. Key areas like educational facilities, law enforcement stations, to mention a couple, can be inspired and supported to changeover to renewable strength use by way of govt intervention that lessens the charge of option electricity systems and produces favourable policy regimes to expand the renewable electrical power market. Hostels of colleges, producing industries, and point out facilities must consciously invest in renewables to guarantee their sustainability.
8. Uncovered in a Deutsche Welle (DW) globalization report on strength, numerous rural households in Kenya ended up forced to find electric power off-grid as a result of a substantial-costing and unreliable nationwide grid. Kenya’s renewable strength offers 700 MW to their energy generation blend, with vast majority likely to homes. This has allowed its government to aim on other option energies like hydropower. Ghana, however, enjoys significant energy source from hydro vegetation making about 900MW responsible capacity but can’t boast of geothermal vitality, wind or solar energy — which have the potential to offer quite a few hundreds of Megawatts of environmentally friendly vitality to Ghana.
9. Mr Speaker, a crucial attribute of this kind of achievements in renewable strength exhibited in Kenya is unquestionably private sector participation. Investing in this route will permit the majority who are household individuals to produce electricity for domestic use, in effect decreasing the stress on nationwide-grid supply for sustainable industrial expansion. There is a need to aid and stimulate Impartial Energy Producers (IPPs) and build a rewarding and conducive atmosphere for adopting renewable energy.
10. Numerous national grid-linked general public institutions are burdened with colossal amounts of financial debt to their vitality provider calendar year in year out. Of the number of that are disclosed, even much much less crank out sufficient revenue to offset those people debts without having collapsing their operations. This breeds an attitude of consistent reliance on governing administration intervention from budgetary allocations, hampering development in many other sectors of the increasing financial system.
11. Mr Speaker, in conclusion, renewable electricity is the surest means of minimizing our power technology monthly bill which rises needlessly in this present day era of technologies. Health rewards connected with minimized CO2 emissions for human beings and also sustaining biodiversity are not able to be missing on us as a nation. It is time to practicalize our renewable strength ideas and established the tone for sustainable strength generation whiles contributing to the world-wide agenda for local weather improve to maintain the earth.
Thank you for the possibility provided.