The Residence is at present contemplating a proposal to construct a multi-objective 450 capability chamber block really worth about $200 million.
Nevertheless, the move has been satisfied with anger and derision from a section of Ghanaians.
Many believe the choice to erect a new chamber is unneeded and profligate and have hence termed on Parliament to withdraw the proposal.
The hashtag #DropThatChamber has also been trending on social media, as protests against the new chamber keep on.
But talking to some media houses past week, the Greater part Chief discussed the will need to have a a great deal comfy chamber for Parliamentarians.
Beneath are nine motives Mr. Mensah-Bonsu gave to justify the $200m financial commitment, as compiled by Joy News:
1.The distance concerning the bulk MPs and the minority MPs is as well shorter and a minister can quickly throw a blow or slap a further minister when matters get heated.
2. Due to the fact of the way the area is not protected ….anyone can simply enter the chamber and pour acid on the speaker.
3. Very last time, since of straightforward obtain, a gentleman entered the chamber searching for his MP and he could not locate him, he tried using committing suicide.
4. Right now, there are so numerous MPs who sit beside the column who simply cannot be determined by the speaker. They are not able to catch the speaker’s eye so even when they get up, the speaker cannot determine them.
5. It is also about time for parliament to get its very own chamber following customising the State Residence for its operate considering that 1992.
6. There is no parliament anyplace in the planet where by we have the public getting immediate entry to the members in the chamber.
7. Parliament as an institution because Independence has not experienced any devoted facility and it’s the only arm of governing administration that has not had its possess edifice.
8. The latest chamber impedes the state’s potential to present protection for MP’s.
9. The walkways are congested and the worst could happen in an occasion of a stampede.