The UNIPASS program is far from being qualified as an Conclusion –to-Close method for the reason that it does not involve a manifest system, the Mass Motion Committee has claimed.
The Committee is consequently contacting for the suspension of the UNIPASS contract.
Go through full assertion under:
UNIPASS IS NOT AN Close-TO-Conclusion Method AS It is BEEN CLAIMED AND Consequently Should BE SUSPENDED
1. Government as portion of its efforts to maximize income from worldwide trade, conceived the idea of possessing a one window technique at the country’s entry details. Offering influence and that means to this noble and effectiveness enhancing system, has around the yrs led federal government to engage the services of entities like GCNet, WESTBLUE, SML and Ghana Website link between some others. These bodies performed different features within the scope of the single window program.
2. On the other hand, upon assumption of place of work by the NPP government, a contract was awarded to Ghana Url to deliver the UNIPASS system that will change the GCNET/WESTBLUE software. The resultant UNIPASS Ghana that was produced from this contractual engagement, is fraught with many technological and other challenges that have the propensity to give federal government a raw deal. And to that extent, we in the Mass Action Committee (MAC) are demanding of government to suspend the UNIPASS Ghana deal to enable for more due diligence and benefit for income evaluation.
3. The UNIPASS application is significantly from currently being skilled as an Finish –to-Close method since it does not contain a manifest platform. The Manifest Module constitutes the essential and first Customs Declaration Entry Point. Absent this Manifest Module, it is impossible to approach any Declaration. This defect for that reason belies the declare that, the Integrated Customs Management Process ICUMS is an all-in-a single customs administration alternative. It is critical to state that, this evident deficiency with the so termed UNIPASS Ghana system, occurs in massive section, from how the very application was formulated.
4. Opposite to the arrangement to interact the unique CUPIA (Customs UNIPASS International Agency) of Korea, the UNIPASS Ghana software program was crafted by some Koreans brought in by Ghana Hyperlink on UNIPASS KOREA’s technology. Even though this engineering was named UNIPASS Ghana by these Koreans, it is not the primary UNIPASS program crafted by CUPIA. Indeed, their model appears really significantly like a carbon duplicate of WESTBLUE’s Declaration System.
5. The UNIPASS computer software produced and employed in Korea not like the Ghanaian version, is a complete application with the ability to tackle the processing of all files from Manifest Declaration to the Clearing of Merchandise.
6. The non-Finish-to-End capacity of the UNIPASS method was uncovered during the trials in Aflao, Tema and Takoradi. The technique failed abysmally. Subsequent to this failure, Ghana missing sixty 6 million Ghana Cedis (GHS 66,000,000.00) in the initial two days of implementation. Consequently, exposing the incapacity of the UNIPASS procedure to evaluate up to the specifications of the GCNET System. It is also deserving of take note that, provided the irredeemable tragedy that was occasioned by the inefficiency of the method through the exam operates, a reluctant re-adaptation of the manual system of clearing merchandise was resorted to at the Aflao Border and Takoradi Port.
7. It should be emphasized that, the final decision to acquire UNIPASS was established on the expectation that, it would be an improvement around the GCNET System and not worse than it. The unfortunate reverse consequence that was found, was primarily simply because the process that was built on UNIPASS technological innovation in Ghana by the Korean builders, experienced hardly ever been analyzed anyplace prior to its implementation in Ghana.
8. Past the worrying specialized worries with UNIPASS Ghana, there are also fundamental issues of non-public monopoly over Ghana’s important income source. It will be recalled that, prior to the UNIPASS arrangement, there ended up distinct distributors at the port providing numerous methods within just the solitary window regime with the rate framework down below:
|2. SML-External Rate Verification||.17%|
9. Nevertheless, the new agreement that entitled Ghana Link to present UNIPASS, offers it full regulate of all Entry/Exit Points at a cost of .75% on the whole C & F of all imports into the region. Meanwhile, beneath the erstwhile NDC administration, Ghana Backlink had been awarded a contract that gave them the sole obligation of undertaking all scan activities at all Entry Factors in Ghana (i.e. Tema Port, Takoradi Port, Aflao Border, Kotoka Airport among other people) at a cost of .30% on the whole C & F of all imports into the country.
This implies that, Ghana Hyperlink is now with UNIPASS earning 1.05 of all C & F on imports into the region as shown below:
|Total Charge Rates by UNIPASS and Ghana Website link||1.05%|
10. From the foregoing, it is apparent that if govt enables the UNIPASS arrangement to stand, it would be perilously gambling with our income mobilization initiatives with a program that is not Conclude-to- Finish, has no confirmed report of general performance everywhere and extra significantly, will be breeding a monopoly which problem poses a hazard to earnings technology.
11. We are hence requesting federal government to suspend the UNIPASS arrangement to permit even more consultations and owing diligence in buy to prevent earnings loss to the state in this all significant revenue generation enterprise.