AngloGold Ashanti joins around 1,2 billion Africans throughout the continent and in the diaspora in marking Africa Working day.
This year’s celebration comes at a time when the African Union (AU) is spearheading numerous initiatives aimed to battle the distribute of Covid-19 and ensure Africa’s financial resilience.
The topic for this year’s Africa Day, ‘Silencing the Guns creating a conducive environment for Africa’s progress.’
It provides the suitable framework to all stakeholders which includes governments, the non-public sector, civil culture and academia to be a part of forces in the struggle from the pandemic, guaranteeing that livelihoods are safeguarded and retaining economic action alive.
The theme is in pursuance of the aspirations of Agenda 2063, which presents a developmental framework in direction of a continent that is built-in, affluent and peaceful.
Other flagship initiatives consist of the Africa Continental Absolutely free Trade Spot (AfCFTA), which has occur into force and which aims to raise intra-African trade.
Africa’s leaders achieved and formulated a extensive, continent-broad response approach to Covid-19 in March.
The system aims to greatly enhance collaboration and conversation on Covid-19 by member states and companions, such as Africa CDC, which specializes in endeavours to fortify health and fitness systems and strengthen surveillance, unexpected emergency reaction, avoidance and management of diseases in AU member states.
AngloGold Ashanti is committed to supporting the AU in its response system and is operating in cooperation with the respective governing administration programmes and stakeholders to roll out a series of hygiene and academic interventions at its web pages and across communities.
As a pan-African trader, AngloGold Ashanti operates in five countries throughout the continent and is a joint undertaking lover in a mine in a sixth. It employs extra than 20 000 men and women such as contractors.
The Company continues to make its African operations, investing tens of millions of bucks per year in sustaining and increasing its portfolio on the African Continent.
“AngloGold Ashanti aims to assistance the nations in which we operate to combat the Covid-19 pandemic. The firm carries on to operate intently with governments and communities and has rolled out a amount of interventions to retain persons safe,” stated Sicelo Ntuli, Main Running Officer for Africa.
“AngloGold Ashanti congratulates all Africans on the situation of Africa Day and will go on to operate in partnership and assist governments and communities the place it operates,” he reported.
The firm has launched measures to sluggish the distribute of the infection, stepping up screening and surveillance of workers, banning non-vital vacation, instituting apparent self-quarantine actions exactly where applicable and increasing hygiene awareness and amenities across its operations.
AngloGold Ashanti also has a array of humanitarian initiatives in put. It is dedicated to operating with governments at all degrees and a variety of other stakeholders to sluggish the spread of Covid-19.
• AngloGold Ashanti Malaria Control (AGAMal) has been working to disinfect all the 21 health centres in the Obuasi municipality, district and the neighborhood marketplaces.
• Popular training campaigns on Covid-19 in Obuasi.
• The AGA Health Foundation is helping as a result of screening and has skilled staff in authorities hospitals in sample using.
• The Obuasi and Iduapriem Mines have donated funds as a result of the Ghana Chamber of Mines, which has furnished US$2million to the government of Ghana to combat Covid-19.
• Iduapriem has well prepared an isolation centre in Tarkwa, developed a in depth Covid-19 education campaign and improved the variety of hand-washing facilities on internet site and in host communities. It has, also supplied health-related gear and PPE.
• At Iduapriem, all-around $1 million will be put in mitigating the outcomes of Covid-19.
• Collaboration with expert, multidisciplinary groups from the provincial governments to make accessible two hospitals and ICU beds for their distinctive use as element of the frontline Covid-19 work.
• Donation of masks to provinces, municipalities and hospitals.
• Provision of no cost standing 1,000 litre drinking water tanks for hand-washing services.
• Distribution of care parcels, which include food items, to the needy.
• Pledged R20 million to the Solidarity Reaction Fund, which is supported by business enterprise, civil society and the South African governing administration.
• Established partnership with Sasol and Imperial Holdings to guard frontline medical personnel and people at 4 major South African hospitals by giving bulk provides of hand sanitizer.
• Geita Gold Mining Minimal (GGML) has fully commited TZS 1, 600,000,000 (US$ 691 431) to aid the govt of Tanzania in its efforts to curtail the unfold of the virus.
• Collaboration with Geita City Drinking water and Sanitation Authority to donate 10, 1000 litre water tanks for hand-washing facilites that have been placed at occupied centres throughout Geita town.
• Lively data strategies, together with distribution of posters, mounting billboards and radio consciousness strategies in communities.
GUINEA AND MALI
• Organised consciousness strategies which have centered on the distribution of information and facts booklets and posters, in addition to raising the number of hand washing services on internet sites and in host communities.
• Temperature testing has been launched on internet site and in host communities.
• The mines have supplied PPE and medical machines.
• A car or truck to be employed as an ambulance has been provided by Siguiri for use in the bordering communities.
• In complete the Siguiri operation in Guinea will spend about $1 million to struggle Covid-19. Sadiola in Mali will immediate $500 000 to the Covid-19 avoidance marketing campaign.