Chancellor of the University of Ghana Mary Chinery-Hesse has been appointed an Honorary Fellow of the African Academy of Sciences.
This was communicated by Prof. Catherine Ngila, Ag. Executive Director, African Academy of Sciences.
The letter in part said that the AAS Governing Council acquiring duly regarded as numerous people for honorary fellowship was persuaded that Mrs Chinery-Hesse’s “contribution on the continent matches the goals of the Academy”.
An Honorary Fellow of the Academy is elected from between people of eminence who have designed significant contribution to the aims of the Academy and to the eyesight of the AAS to ‘transform life through science’.
Even however they could not have considerable scientific achievements relative to the Fellows and Associate Fellows, these are eminent individuals who have specified distinguished service to culture in various areas these as teaching technology products and services to expert societies, academia, business, and governing administration and/or communicating and deciphering science to the public.
Honorary Fellows will be expected to volunteer to assist the Govt Director and Governing Council to make a important contribution to the get the job done of the AAS. This kind of contributions may perhaps include things like, but are not limited to:
- Volunteering their time and expertise to amplify the do the job of the AAS to renovate life via science on the continent.
- Applying their talent and/or affect to progress the exterior reputation of the operate of the AAS these kinds of as via speaking engagements and setting up networks.
- Giving strategic direction to the AAS Executive Director and Governing Council in purchase to unlock resources for AAS programmes and unique flagship initiatives.
- Highlighting priority problems in their fields of expertise and draw attention to the routines of the Academy.
- Partaking in advocacy, fundraising, and in general public recognition things to do in line with the mandate of the AAS.
Mrs. Chinery-Hesse who is the very first alumna of the University of Ghana to be awarded an honorary diploma by her alma mater, has had a distinguished
career as a general public servant identified both nationally and internationally. She has also been given quite a few prestigious awards and decorations together with the Get of the Star of Ghana in 2006 and the Gusi Peace Prize for Worldwide Diplomacy and Humanitarianism in 2010.
Meanwhile the Vice-Chancellor of the College, Prof. Ebenezer Oduro Owusu has sent a concept of congratulations to the Chancellor.
He indicated that the University is happy to be linked with the Chancellor’s election to the African Academy of Sciences and wished her effectively in the course of her tenure.
The African Academy of Sciences is a non-political, non-aligned, Pan African Corporation Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, whose eyesight is to completely transform life as a result of science.
It has a tripartite mandate of pursuing excellence by recognising scholars and achievers providing advisory and imagine tank functions for shaping the continent’s procedures and procedures and employing vital science, technological innovation and innovation programmes.
“Hearty congratulations to the Chancellor, Mrs Mary Chinery-Hesse for this appointment. This is but one more feather in your cap. The College group is happy to be linked with you,” he reported.